Grilled Shrimp Salad
Recipe type: Entree
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 pound large shrimp, about 16, shelled and deveined
- 4 wooden skewers
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and quartered lengthwise, fanned out onto 4 plates
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned (all pith and membranes removed)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- In a medium non-reactive bowl, whisk together the lime juice, marmalade, garlic, cilantro, 7 tablespoons of the olive oil, soy sauce and dried hot red pepper flakes. Using a measuring cup, remove ½ cup and set aside, refrigerated. Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss to combine thoroughly with the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the skewers in a shallow tray and cover with hot water. Set aside until you are ready to grill the shrimp.
- Preheat a grill or broiler to medium heat.
- Place the shrimp on the soaked wooden skewers
- Lightly pat dry with paper towels and, using a brush, lightly coat the shrimp on both sides with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil
- Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until shrimp are golden brown on both sides and cooked through
- Place the shrimp on top of the fanned avocado slices and season with salt to taste
- Top with the orange segments then divide the reserved dressing evenly among the 4 plates and garnish with the cilantro sprigs
- Serve immediately.